Denpo-in is the chief priest's living quarters, located in Senso-ji Temple precincts, and consists of several buildings, including a guest hall and a main entrance, which were built in 1777, a main drawing room, which was built in 1902, and a living room for the head priest, which was rebuilt in the Taisho Period. Although Denpo-in was called "Kannon-in" or "Chiraku-in" when it was built, the name was changed to Denpo-in during the Genroku Period (1688-1704). The Amitabha and two bodhisattvas are enshrined in the guest hall, and memorial tablets of successive shoguns of the Tokugawa shogunate, and memorial tablets of successive head priests of Senso-ji Temple are also enshrined on both sides of the Buddhist images. Buddhist services, including "Sange-e," an anniversary of Dengyo-daishi's death and "Tendai-e," an anniversary of Tendai-daishi's death, are held in the hall. The approximately 12,230 square meters garden with lush green is a landscape garden in a circular style, which is said to have been designed by Enshu Kobori in the Kanei Period (1624-42). Denpo-in's garden had been a garden for imperial prince abbots and kept secret from the public for a long time. Although the garden is still not open to the public, some special events, including a garden tour and a tea ceremony, are sometimes held in the garden.
Garden of Denpo-in
The garden had been kept secret from the public for a long time. In addition to the buildings, the planting of trees and the natural environment are also valuable. Now, the Tokyo Sky Tree can be seen beyond the garden, creating a harmony between the old and the new.
Main Entrance of Denpo-in
New Drawing Room of Denpo-in
Garden of Denpo-in
Weeping Cherry Tree in Denpo-in Precincts
The garden is beautifully colored by full-blown cherry blossoms in spring.
Tenyu-an, which was modeled after Omote Senke's "Fushin-an" in Kyoto, was build by Sakubei Makino, a master of the tea ceremony, in the Tenmei Period. It was donated by Senso-ji Temple's women's association in 1958.