Haji no Nakatomo who realized the presence of the principal image of Senso-ji Temple, and Hamanari and Takenari Hinokuma have been enshrined in Asakusa Shrine. It is a tutelary shrine in Asakusa, which is also called "Sanja." The present main building of the shrine was built with a donation from Iemitsu Tokugawa, the third Tokugawa shogun. The architecture is the Gongen style in which the inner, middle and outer shrines are connected by a roofed passage, and is designated as a nationally important cultural property.
Niten-mon in Senso-ji Temple
Niten-mon stands at the right-hand side of the archway to Senso-ji Temple, and is designated as a nationally important cultural property. The present gate was judging from the style and techniques, it appears to be built around 1649. And, the present guardian god statues were transferred from the mausoleum of Genyuin (Ietsuna, the fourth Tokugawa shogun) in Kan-eiji Temple in Ueno. The armed Guardian of the South and Guardian of the East are two of the Four Devas who are Buddhist guardian deities. The Guardian of the South and Guardian of the East protect the south and the east, respectively.
Guardian of South (left) and Guardian of East (right) at Niten-mon
Senso-ji Temple's first five-storied pagoda was built with a donation from Taira no Kinmasa in 942. Later on, it had collapsed and been burnt down several times. A five-storied pagoda, which was built by Iemitsu, the third Tokugawa shogun, in 1648, was designated as a National Treasure, but was unfortunately burnt down due to war damage in 1945. A new five-storied pagoda with an outer shrine and a drawing room were rebuilt in 1973.
Hozo-mon in Senso-ji Temple
"Senso-ji Engi," a book about the origin of Senso-ji Temple, says that Hozo-mon was built by Taira no Kinmasa, the Lord of Awa, in 942 in return for the granting of his prayer for him to be appointed as the Load of Musashi. The gate is a three-story building, and the second and third floors are used as repositories in which treasures are stored.
Kaminari-mon in Senso-ji Temple
The gate was built by Taira no Kinmasa in 942. It is said that it was originally located near Komagata. It was moved to the present location in the Kamakura Period, and the statues of the wind and thunder gods were placed in it. Although it was destroyed by a disastrous fire in 1865, the present gate was built with a donation from Konosuke Matsushita, a founder of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., in 1960. Now, the gate is a symbol of Asakusa.
The huge lantern hung on the gate is 3.3 meters in diameter and 3.9 meters high, and weighs 700 kilograms. A golden dragon is depicted on the bottom of the lantern.
Statues of Wind and Thunder Gods in Kaminari-mon
The wind god and the thunder god are enshrined on the left and right sides of the gate, respectively. Since the statues were burnt down except for their heads due to a great fire in 1865, the statues were restored by Rengyoku Siokawa in 1874. Two statues of the dragon gods, "Tenryu" carved by Denchu Hirakushi and "Kinryu" carved by Yasuo Sugawara, are enshrined at the back of the gate.